Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday at Comfort Cottage



I find it truly amazing that I can go all week, doing all the work I need to do with a family of seven, and not very often need a nap. However, I have noticed that Sundays are very different.
Sometimes our Sundays are full of fellowship with families from our church. We often fellowship on this day leu of an evening service. Most of the time we come home and spend it together as a family. This is fine, because we like to be together.
I have noticed an amazing thing. On all the other days of the week I move along and get my work done. At the end of the day I am surely ready for bed. But, on Sundays it seems as though God "makes" me extremely exhausted. It is as if all the residual fatigue of the week bursts forth like a dam breaking on Sunday. Whether I am home or away, no matter, the deep fatigue strikes. I am not saying this is a bad thing. On the contrary, I am trying to feebly explain what I feel is very much a "God Thing". I believe when He commanded a Sabbath rest He meant it. I seems as though He commands me to take this rest for my own good without my consent .;)
Some Sundays we all do quiet things, not necessarily napping, but resting. We read, play board games, sit outside on the porch or deck, make homemade ice cream, listen to music, ride bikes, take walks, ect. Today was one of the 'other' kind of Sundays. When there was an overwhelming need for sleep.
Just as we parked the car in the drive a black cloud of rain came toward the house. It was accompanied by low rolling thunder. (The kind I love.) As soon as everyone was in the house the rain began to pour slightly heavy, but slow. We had already had a fellowship meal so everyone was fed. I tried to sit in the chair and read, but I knew it was no use. I went to my bedroom, changed into my cozy flannel shirt ( yes, I know it is July, but the house was cool and I wanted "comfort"). I climbed into my tall shaker pine four poster bed. I listened to that beautiful low roll of thunder and the rain pouring down and spent some time talking to my Father about some things that were on my heart. He is so sweet. He gave me a deep and restful sleep that I needed very much. I think I can meet my week now. I won't be starting the week with a debt I can't catch up on.
A restful Sabbath is just one more Comfort from God our Father. He knows what's needed. He knows our frame. He created us. It is so nice to see God's wisdom for my life and move with it, as if it were the tide. Just let it wash me onto shore where I need to be and enjoy.
Hope your Sabbath was a blessing to you.

1 comment: