Sunday, July 5, 2009

Comfort Cottage Almanac

I would like to start the Comfort Cottage Almanac this month. I love almanacs. I realized just recently that I have put together quite a collection of different types of almanacs without really trying. Over the years my eyes would always light on these types of books at antique stores, yard sales, thrift shops, ect. I have always loved home. To me, part of home is tradition and custom. I figured out early on in my marriage that I wanted those things, knowing somehow that it would draw my young (and small) family together. I soon understood that, like good art, family traditions don't just happen. They take work and commitment on someone's part. You have to be aware of time and the rhythm and passage of it. You have to stay on top of what's coming next month. You have to be willing to clean, cook, sew, shop, invite, decorate, love; whatever it takes to make the tradition happen.

It is all about Love and the comfort of Love. God created the times and seasons. He initiated traditions and celebrations for His people. He knew how these things would draw us and bind us together with Him. We can see God in our traditions. So, can you make your cottage a 'comfort cottage'? Can you think of one tradition that can draw your family together that you could plan for next month? I'll start my almanac in this month of July. I will try to update my almanac at the start of each month to let you see some of our comforting customs around here.

Let's get started:

July

  • I put up Mr. Wonderful's sweet corn.
  • I try to work on decorating projects and furniture refinishing that I can't do during the school year.
  • curriculum sale this month (YEAH!)
  • My absolute favorite sister often visits me in this month.:)
  • The boys love to fish, swim in the creek, play in their treehouse.
  • Enjoy the air conditioning.
  • I start canning any thing and everything it seems.
  • Peaches come in this month.
  • Blackberries are ripe right around the fourth.
  • We have a lovely blueberry patch close by. It is up on a mountain. We go as a family in the evening and have a great time.
  • I try to get in 'school' sewing. (Kindof hard to do, tho.)

Last, but certainly NOT least is our annual fourth of July picnic.

This year was our fifth annual.

First, the FUN. The annual baseball game. Everyone is welcome to play.

And FRIENDS. Everyone gets to visit in the cool, or outside. Go hiking or wading or just sit & talk.

The FOOD. This year I provided the BBQ and hotdogs, everyone brought wonderful things to go with it. YUM, YUM!

Mr. Wonderful scoped this cake out the minute it came in the door. He even had a piece before he had anything else. It was good. Great job, Virginia.

There were special sauces to add to your delectable cake if cake alone didn't satisfy.

This lovely concoction tasted so good, was patriotic, and was diabetic friendly. Amazing.

Of course, the FIREWORKS! We all pool our resources and have a wonderful display.
Most of all this month reminds us that even though it seems many of our freedoms may seem to stand on shaky ground we are STILL the 'freest' nation in the world. And it is only because we are granted that freedom by God. Please remember to thank Him for it.


Almanacs
I thought you might enjoy seeing some of my almanac collection. I'll try to show some different ones each month.
Here I have my Tasha Tudor almanacs. These are all set up according to the months of the year. I treasure these. (The New England Buttr'y Shelf Cookbook, The New England Buttr'y Shelf Almanac, Seasons of Delight, Around the Year, A Time To Keep)

Probably one of my favorites is Mrs. Sharp's Traditions. It is so wonderfully old fashioned. It takes each month and gently describes ways to incorporated special times and traditions into your family. I LOVE this book. This edition is out-of-print. There was a newer edition out a few years ago, I'm not sure it is still in print. I would suggest doing what you can to get the old one though. It was written before the author's unfortunate divorce. The tone of the second edition is somewhat more cynical and clipped. The art work has also been edited and is not as good as the first.

Hope this gets your wheels turning about making your own cottage a 'comfort cottage'.
Start that tradition list for next month.










2 comments:

  1. hmmm August traditions.... I get back to you on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. we love Wonderful's Sweet Corn!

    ReplyDelete