Sunday, August 30, 2009

August Almanac


Home Sweet Home
in August
Yes, well, um I'm still here. I guess I still consider myself a "blogger" even though I haven't been around in a while. Things have been pretty hectic here at Comfort Cottage during the month of August. Things usually are.

I promised an August almanac report last month. At the time I thought, "Well, what do I do in August?" HA!! Let me tell you, I just suffered from a little bout of amnesia. I now am recovered of my faculties and can give you a good report for your almanac.

Mrs. Sharp, whom I referenced last month, suggests using the slow and unfilled days for taking short family day-trips. I thought this to be a dandy idea (still being in my amnesia state) and proposed the idea to Mr. Wonderful. I figured if we worked it carefully; packing picnic lunches and not going too far abroad, we could conceivably & frugally take at least three day-trips in the month of August. Well, my excited proposal was met with a not-so-excited response. Needless to say, the day trips didn't happen. Mr. Wonderful sort of prefers staying close to home.

The next suggestion Mrs. Sharp gives is 'Preserving the Summer's Harvest'. Well, let me tell you this was about the time my amnesia left me. Oh yeah! NOW I remember. Every August for most of my adult life has been spent canning what Mr. Wonderful likes to stay home and produce. Now, don't get me wrong. I enjoy savoring the season's bounty by seeing all those colorful, beautiful, and full canning jars sitting in rows on the counter. I just had sort of forgotten about that when I planned all my other summer projects.

Summer projects are projects that generally must be preformed in that season because I am not teaching in our homeschool and because the weather is condusive. I did complete many of these and canning, too.
For the entire month of August I have been wrapping up many projects and trying to get ready for another school year. I would say that my almanac for August would include at the very least preserving, projects, & school planning. Even one of those is enough to fill the month. I hope you found your ideas for this month. I think for next August, I have decided to try my hand at completing more of my special projects during the school year. I hope to do this by scheduling a little time each day to work on just projects. I figure I can use my husband's shop for furniture painting and refinishing that I usually do outside. Most other projects involve decorating and improvement projects. If I can do this, then hopefully there won't be so many things crowding August. Maybe, just maybe, I can spend some time this year educating Mr. Wonderful to the splendors of day-trips. ;)
Here is another of my favorite almanacs. It was written by Karey Swann. It went around in the homeschool catalogs several years ago. She is evidently a really neat person. She catalogs alot of her 'neatness' here. The majority of the book is recipes for healthy eating and ponderings relating to home, family, and school. But, my favorite part is in the back. She gives us short descriptions of what makes each month unique in her family. I've gotten some good ideas from her.
I don't know if you can buy this new anymore. I am sure it would be available online somewhere.
Well, good to visit again. Hope to post more often as the summer busyness closes and is replaced by the busyness of the school year. :)hee-hee

4 comments:

  1. Hi there!I thoroughly enjoy your blog and read it the first time after you were here that Sunday afternoon!But I couldnt figure out how to comment and hope I have it figured out now.
    It makes me want to come and visit you and see your comfort cottage!
    I especially enjoyed the one on sisters!I will see now if I can get this to go.Hugs,Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELL!I am surprised!It did go through!Can you send me the number of that pattern sometime?
    Freeman has a bad head cold,so he didnt go to church today.I missed him something awful.Isnt it amazing how alone you feel when your better half isnt with you...
    You sound very busy,as am I,I was reading a book this afternoon,all relaxed and lazy,kind of getting ready for another busy week.But I do love this fall like weather!So I went walking for awhile this evening.Am trying hard to get some exercise in since I have failed in that for months and need to pick up the pieces and get going again!Hugs,Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW... good to know you are still alive! I have loads to catch up on and I'm gonna have to just call... too much for this venue. August's Almanac was a chapter full of practicality no? School next week. You too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOO HOOO ..... Is your cottage still comforting??? :) I miss your blogs.... and you... luv ya...

    ReplyDelete